An inevitable part of owning any home will be plumbing problems. The dreaded issue may rear up unexpectedly but with some help from Five Star Plumbers, the #1 plumbers in Harford County, Maryland we can look at ways to fix any issues with relative ease. With that in mind here are 8 most common plumbing problems.
1.) Dripping Faucets
Any dripping faucet is sure to be annoying and costly if left unfixed. In some cases, these drips can be caused by a worn-out washer or O ring, which can be easily replaced. In other cases, corrosion or even improper faucet installation can be the problem causing the drip.
2.) Leaky Pipes
Leaky pipes can be caused by all kinds of problems which include:
- Stubborn clogs
- Incorrect pipe laying
- Pipe corrosion
- Pipe joint damage
- Cracked seals or cracked pipes
- Excessive water pressure
No matter what the issue, this common problem needs to be addressed quickly. The longer they are ignored, the more damage they can cause to your plumbing system and home.
3.) Running Toilets
Did you know that a single running toilet can waste up to 200 gallons per day? In most cases that cause running toilets include:
- Refill tube problems
- Worn out flapper seals or flush valves
- Improperly sized flapper chains
- Corroded toilet handles
This is another easily costly issue for your home.
4.) Low Water Pressure
Weak water pressure can make it challenging to use almost any plumbing system in your home. Often, this can be a symptom of a bigger plumbing problem, such as
- Pipe corrosion
- Hidden water leaks
- Drain or sewer clogs
- Cracked or blocked sewer lines
It is a good rule of thumb not to ignore any low water pressure in your home.
5.) Leaking Hose Bibb
A leaking hose bibb is very common in the spring and summer. After a long, cold winter, many hose bibbs that aren’t protected can crack and begin to leak. We advise our customers to invest in a frost-proof hose bibb, which can reduce the chances of having future leaks.
6.) Slow or Clogged Drains
Drainage problems can cause health hazards and even plumbing disasters if they’re not addressed quickly. In general:
- One slow or clogged drain in a home usually means that a problem is localized to that area. Commonly this comes from hair, soap, and other foreign objects having built up in the drain over time. Routine cleaning can be ideal to fix this issue.
- Multiple slow or clogged drains are a red flag that you may be dealing with sewer line problems.
In order to prevent a sewage backup in your home, it is crucial to call in a professional.
7.) Sump Pump Failure
Sump pump failures can be related to a problem with the unit or an external issue. Usually, the causes can include:
- Stuck switches
- An overwhelming amount of water, like after heavy rain
- Clogged discharge pipes
- Improper sump pump installation
- Aging, with sump pumps around 10 years old being prone to failure
The last being a common area of issue, especially in older homes.
8.) Water Heater Problems
Hot water is a necessity in any home. So, when water heaters can’t provide enough or any hot water, homeowners can be dealing with a plumbing crisis. Usually issues arise from:
- Heating element failures
- Corrosion or sediment buildup in systems
- Loose or broken electrical connections
- Improper water heater installation
- The wrong size or type of system to support a home’s needs
Need Help From An Experienced Plumber?
Five Star Plumbing Services is locally owned and operated, being in business since 1991. Our core values include responsiveness, honesty, and integrity. Our technician will provide you with a flat rate fee up front so you know exactly what to expect. No hidden fees. We service residents in both Harford County and Baltimore County.