You may have noticed when you are doing dishes or washing your hands that there are black specks in your water. If this is the case, then something is not right and identifying the source of the problem is essential to fixing it. So, you may still be asking what are the black specks in my water? With Five Star Plumbing, the plumbing experts in Harford County, Maryland, we will take a look.
Top 3 Sources of Black Specks in Water
- Pipe Corrosion: Old pipes can begin to corrode after many years of wear and tear. When they do, small, irregular pieces of pipe can break off and wind up in the water. Corroded pipes usually end up sending specks through cold water taps, and these black specks are more apparent when your home’s water has been turned back on by the water company after a shut-off.
- Piece of corroded water heater: If you see specks when you are using hot water in the tub, shower, or sink, your water heater is likely corroding, or the water lines to and from the water heater are corroded. It isn’t uncommon for black specks to remain on the sides of sinks, tubs, and showers after the hot water is off.
- Pieces of broken parts: Are the specks you see small and rubbery? These could be disintegrated pieces of a rubber gasket, washer, or flexible supply hose. Rubber can begin to break down after years of use or because of disinfectants used in the city’s water supply.
How Can I Get Rid of Black Specks in my Water?
Even if it feels as if the black specks in your water supply is alarming, the good news is that there’s a lot that can be done to get rid of them and keep them from returning!
Depending on the source of the specks, cleaning up your water could involve:
- Water heater maintenance service
- Water heater repair or replacement service
- Water line repair or replacement
- Faucet repair or replacement
- Water conditioning system installation
Need Help From An Experienced Plumber?
Five Star Plumbing Services is locally owned and operated, being in business since 1991. Our core values include responsiveness, honesty, and integrity. Our technician will provide you with a flat rate fee up front so you know exactly what to expect. No hidden fees. We service residents in both Harford County and Baltimore County.